What is Shockwave Therapy?
Shockwave Therapy is a non-invasive therapy where a handheld device moves over a conductive gel sending waves of energy to painful areas. These waves of energy interact with tissue causing overall medical effects of:
- analgesia (reduced pain)
- mobility restoration
- reversal of chronic inflammation
- cell growth / accelerated tissue repair
- stimulation of collagen production (necessary for repair)
- new blood vessel formation
- decalcification (calcium build-up is most often a result of micro-tears or other trauma to a tendon)
- release of trigger points (principle causes of pain)
In many instances there will be an immediate reduction in pain as well as an improvement in mobility and function.
What conditions does Shockwave Therapy treat?
Shockwave Therapy can be used to treat all persistent pain conditions of joints, tendons and muscles such as:
- Hip pain
- Patellar tendonitis (jumper‘s knee)
- Tibial stress syndrome (shin pain)
- Achilles tendonitis
- Plantar fasciitis
- Heel pain
- Heel spurs
Shockwave Therapy could well be your non-surgical option to fighting pain. It is an ideal treatment to speed up recovery and cure various indications causing both acute and chronic pain.
What does Shockwave Therapy feel like?
You will feel gentle tapping over the painful spot. The therapy is well tolerated by the vast majority of patients and will always be adjusted according to patient feedback.
How many treatments will I need?
The number of treatments required is dependent on the presenting problem, it’s severity and how the patient’s body reacts to the treatment. The effect of the treatment is cumulative, so you will typically need more than one treatment. Each patient will have their own tailored treatment plan.
How fast will I see results?
You will likely experience pain relief after the first session. The healing process will continue over the next few weeks.